THE END OF MODERNITY, 2015
The chapel Notre-Dame-du-Haut, France
The chapel Notre-Dame-du-Haut, built by Le Corbusier between 1951 and 1955 on the hill Bourlémont, Ronchamp (France), was commissioned by the Dominican friars.
At the time, the chapel’s architecture surprised a great number of architects and architectural critics who saw Le Corbusier as one of the fathers of functionalism who swore allegiance only to the right angle. Its round shapes inspired by the Vosges hills (audio visual) and the animal world (crab shell for the roof), appeared to them to be a betrayal of the theories of modern architecture.
The art historian, Nikolaus Pevner, who defined the Modern Movement in architecture in 1936, describes the Ronchamp chapel as evidence of new irrationalism.